Creative Corner – Laura Taylor
This week’s guest on Creative Corner brings lots of Romance to my “Month of Romance!” Her books are numerous, her credentials are impressive and she’s an absolutely wonderful woman. Please give her a warm welcome!
Meet: Laura Taylor
LAURA TAYLOR is a bestselling romance writer and the recipient of numerous writing awards, including 6 Romantic Times Book Awards, 2 MAGGIE AWARDS from Georgia Romance Writers/RWA, 2 Golden Heart Finalist Awards (Romance Writers of America), a Romance Writers of America RITA Finalist Award, and an RWA Golden Rose Award. She is also a veteran editorial consultant to fiction, non-fiction, and academic writers, a permanent faculty member of the Southern California Writers’ Conference, a member of International Thriller Writers (ITW), and a Founding Member and former Board Member of Novelists, Inc. Laura resides in Southern California.
Welcome, Laura. Thanks for joining me here on Creative Corner.
- What should my readers know about you?
I’m a veteran author, I’ve worked in both traditional publishing and now as an Indie, I’m fiercely patriotic, and I walk at the beach every single afternoon.
- What are the 3 words that best describe you?
Creative. Patriotic. Committed.
- Tell us about your work.
I wear several hats. I’m the author of numerous contemporary romance novels, an editorial consultant to several well-known fiction and non-fiction writers, and a Workshop Leader at an array of regional and national writers’ conferences.
- Which piece of work are you most proud of?
A novel that I wrote many years ago about the Vietnam War prisoner of war experience. It’s no longer in print, but I’ve recently regained the rights to the book, and I intend to release an updated edition of it in 2017. As well, I’m writing the sequel to that novel.
- What other creative endeavors do you enjoy?
Interior design, gardening, and cooking for friends and family.
- What would people be most surprised to see on your Kindle or bookshelf?
A wide selection of books involving personal security for women. My degrees are in the Criminal Justice field, and I’ve edited books designed to empower women when dealing with physical and psychological assaults.
- How about your playlist?
Rock and roll! And certain operas – I particularly love Andrea Bocelli.
- In the story of your life, who would you like to play you?
That’s easy! Diane Lane.
The Glamorous, Dangerous Romance Section:
- Which celebrity would you most like to end up with in a highly-publicized romance? (Note: If you are not available, please pretend).
- Would the romance be more likely to be chronicled in Vanity Fair,People, or The National Enquirer? Why?
Definitely PEOPLE Magazine, because we’re very real and down to earth people.
- Being part of a celebrity couple puts your life in danger. What is the danger?
Abduction and ransom demands.
- How do you neutralize the threat?
A heightened state of alertness in daily life, rather than hiding. Self-defense training. Personal security when needed. A low key lifestyle, especially if children are involved.
- Which would you rather own: an Aston Martin, a Corvette Stingray or a Bentley?
Bentley. I’ve driven all three, and the Bentley wins hands-down for comfort. If you’re a speed demon, which I was once upon a time, a Vette is amazing!
- Do you have a chauffeur or drive it yourself?
Oh, definitely drive myself.
- Which celebrity would you most like to spend the night having drinks with?
Gary Sinese – I admire his dedication to our military veterans.
- Where do you hang out, and what do you talk about?
In my kitchen! Surrounded by friends – mostly writers and readers – eating great food and talking books!
- We have front row tickets to Fashion Week in NYC. Who are we sitting with?
Heidi Klum and Donna Karan.
- Whose collection are you most looking forward to seeing?
Valentino, Naeem Khan, and Paolo Sebastian are my top three favorites! Picking one is near to impossible.
- You’re given to chance to star in either Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Which movie do you choose?
- Which role do you play?
A mature Princess Leia. 🙂
- Who is starring in the movie with you?
Harrison Ford, of course!
- Who is the person, living or dead, you would most like to spend a day with?
My Dad – he passed away 11 years ago, but not a day goes by that I don’t think of him and yearn for one more conversation with him. He was my first hero, and he always will be. I’d love to tell him one more time how much I love him and that he was an amazing father.
- If you could have your portrait painted by anyone, living or dead, which artist would you choose?
Since I’m half-Italian, I would choose Leonardo da Vinci.
- You’re the lucky winner of the Publisher’s Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. What’s the first thing you do after receiving your prize?
I’d set up educational trust funds for all of my nieces and nephews before I start house-hunting!
- What color best describes your current mood, and why?
Red – for me the color red conveys confidence in one’s self, as well as an inner certainty that I am fulfilling my creative destiny.
The Personal Touch:
- What has been the most romantic moment of your life so far?
A surprise trip with a lover to a deserted tropical island in the Caribbean for a week-long time out from the world. He arranged for us to camp there for an entire week. He even flew us to the island in a seaplane. It was amazing!
- What is your favorite Valentine’s Day gift to give?
A beautifully prepared meal.
- What is your favorite Valentine’s Day gift to receive?
A wonderful dining experience that concludes with chocolate!
- I love the hat you’re wearing in your Facebook profile photo. Is there a story connected to it?
I simply love hats, and I add to my collection of them whenever I find one that is unique.
- You have a degree in criminology. Have you spent time working in the criminal justice system?
Yes, before I began my writing career, I spent about 5 years in the law enforcement community. Those experiences were formative, and they taught me a great deal – both good and bad – about people.
Reach Out and Touch Someone
As a thank you to readers, the LOVE AT THE BEACH Boxed Set (Volume One) is sale priced at $1.99, and it contains three full-length, stand-alone novels: Seduction, Surrender and Sublime.
Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1tFNV4L
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1nxdrGy
Nook US: http://bit.ly/1ycdDvU
Nook UK: http://bit.ly/1t5vzrE
Amazon CA: http://amzn.to/1wrFQzp
Amazon AU: http://bit.ly/1rZdXbL
Amazon DE: http://amzn.to/1wks0gf
Thank you, Laura, for joining me this week on Creative Corner!