Creative Corner – Lorraine Adair
My “Month of Romance” continues this week with another great romance author…If you like your romance with a side of danger, you’ll love this week’s guest!!
Meet: Lorraine Adair
Lorraine Adair is much more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it. That would probably explain why her first novel is about a photographer. She lives in the beautiful state of Oregon with her husband and their five cats, plus a feisty elderly Pomeranian.
An avid reader of many fiction genres, Lorraine decided to try her hand at writing fiction later in life. Her first novel, the romantic suspense Ambient Light, was published when Lorraine was 59 years young.
With so much life experience to draw on, Lorraine has plans for a lot more books. If you like your romance a little steamy, but not explicit, you’ll want to check out Lorraine’s books
- Welcome, Lorraine. Thanks for joining me here on Creative Corner. What should my readers know about you?
I live in Oregon with my husband of 15 years, Dorrin, along with a small dog and a number of rescued cats.
- What are the 3 words that best describe you?
Loyal, tenacious, (recovering) perfectionist.
- Tell us about your work.
I’m busy putting the final touches on my newest Thriller, Track Town. It’s a prequel to the Angel McKenzie series and gives readers the chance to learn more about the hunky detective, Jason Dalton. Besides writing, I also do editing, formatting, and cover design for selected authors. Additionally, I’ve started a collaborative work under the pen name of Sonia S. Rose, writing a Cozy Mystery series. Originally, we planned to release the first three books together early next year, 2016. But, you know, life! It could take a while longer.
- Which piece of work are you most proud of?
Actually, it’s an image I created in 3D. A tribute to my mother and grandmother, if depicts an angel carrying an elderly woman to her reward in Heaven. http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/88341
- What other creative endeavors do you enjoy?
Using my computer to create art: 3D images with DAZ Studio; Using Photoshop to create graphics for social media, book covers, personal greeting cards. And photography.
- Are you a publicity-lover, or publicity shy?
Definitely publicity shy. Though I’ve gotten good at acting comfortable in crowds, I’m more comfortable in small groups of people I can interact with on a personal level.
- I love music, and I’m always interested in the musical tastes of my friends. Tell me your 3 favorite songs.
- “The Prayer” performed by Charlotte Church and Josh Groban, “I Want To Be Just Like You” by Phillips Craig And Dean, “Butterfly Kisses” by Bob Carlisle
- What song best describes your life?
I could have answered this question a decade or two ago, but these days I don’t listen to a lot of music. It is too distracting while I’m trying to write. I find myself singing along or at least trying to recall all the words, and not concentrating on my writing. 🙁
The Glamorous, Dangerous Romance Section:
- You are offered, free for one year, the use of either a customized, fully staffed jet (say a Bombardier Learjet 40XR), or a fully-staffed luxury yacht (perhaps a 150-foot vessel built by Palmer Johnson). Which do you choose?
I’m not fond of flying and I get motion sickness fairly easy, so it’s a tough decision. I’d have to go with the jet. Less time traveling.
- Fabulous! Where are we going?
- Who are we bringing with us?
Besides our families, the cast and director of the movie being made from one of our books.
- I love to shop! And guess what? An eccentric billionaire has offered us his charge card for a day of shopping; with one caveat…we can only go to one store. Where are we going?
B&H Photo in New York City.
- What do we buy there?
Where do I start? A souped up computer for graphics, with a new widescreen monitor; a new Canon DSLR, lenses, tripod and “stuff”; a home theater system… And whatever you want, too.
- Which of the following soap operas most resembles your life: All My Children, Grey’s Anatomy, Dynasty or The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills?
I’d have to say Dynasty, and I’m the family outcast!
- Which celebrity would you most like to star with in a romantic movie?
This is so unfair to the poor guy. I’m old enough to be his mother. But it would have to be Chris Hemsworth. Sigh.
- The setting for this movie is a private island. Where is it located?
The South Seas.
- What do we find there?
Rare black pearls.
- Now comes the danger…This lover’s paradise has an unforeseen danger. What is it?
- Naturally, this danger imperils the love of your life. How do you save him/her?
It’s a movie, right? So I can “do” things I could never do in real life… They have him tied up in a cave, while they decide what to do with him. They are stealing all the black pearls we’ve been diving for, but they don’t realize he isn’t on the island alone. While they are off somewhere else on the island, I sneak in and cut Chris’ bonds, then he uses the knife to subdue the one guard they left behind. We tie the pirate up, grab our pearls and use their vessel to escape the island and alert the authorities. We sail off in the sunset to our happily ever after. (And because it’s not real, I’m about 30 years younger and “a bit” thinner.)
- You’re throwing a party in a magical world where anyone, living or dead, real or fictional, will show up if invited. Who are the first 10 people you invite?
Besides, you? Besides myself, my husband and my children, I’d invite you, (of course,) Oprah Winfrey, Princess Diana, Josh Groban, Paul McCartney, Mark Twain, Ben Franklin, Della Reese, Tamie Dearen, and Brandon Sanderson. (Ed. Note: Thank you for the invite, Lorraine. I predict we are going to have a great time!)
- If you were given $1,000,000 to donate to the charity of your choice, which one would you choose?
Shriners Hospitals for Children.
- If you could have your portrait painted by anyone, living or dead, which artist would you choose?
Leonardo da Vinci
The Personal Touch:
- When writing, which do you feel a strong pull toward, the romance or the suspense?
- In what ways do you identify with your heroine, Angel McKenzie?
We’re both photographers, independent, and stubborn.
- In what ways are you different?
Angel is more focused on her career goals, she doesn’t want the traditional life her mother led.
- Coincidentally, we have both created heroines with the surname McKenzie (Maggie McKenzie is the heroine of my 1st book, Gratification). If they were to show up at the McKenzie family reunion as long-lost cousins, how would that meeting go?
I think they’d hit it off, though there might be some good-natured arguing over who is the most “in charge” of her life. (Ed. Note: LOL! Sounds a lot like Maggie. )
- How much trouble would they get into sleuthing together?
A boatload! I could see them egging each other on to do more dangerous things than either would consider otherwise.
- You appear to have a good grasp of technology (especially compared to me!). How does this help you as an author?
Technology can be intimidating. As a former electronic technician, I know computers and software are actually quite dumb. They think in ones and zeroes, and can’t do something that isn’t in their programming. So I’m not afraid to try something with new software. It either works or it doesn’t. It won’t blow up the computer! lol
- If you could step into one of your books, which would you choose?
I think I’d choose one that isn’t published yet, a romance that takes place on the Oregon Coast. I love the coast, so ruggedly beautiful.
- Any qualms about the dangers you might face?
Well, I can’t swim for beans in a pool. I’d panic in a nanosecond if I fell into the ocean. Even with a life jacket on.
- How would you interact with the other major characters?
I’d be like the great-aunt who dispenses relationship wisdom. Not central to the story, but important just the same.
Reach Out & Touch Someone:
- Where can my readers get more information on you?
I have a website: http:LorraineAdair.com, though I’ve been remiss in keeping it current.
- What social media sites do you use? How can my readers follow you?
I’m on Twitter: @BooksByLorraine
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LorraineAdairBooks
though I’ve been a bit remiss on those platforms, too. So much work, so little time!
- Where can my readers purchase your work?
Ambient Light is available on Amazon
UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EYH7UNA/), Barnes&Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/1120158341) and Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=vhqdAwAAQBAJ).
New releases will be exclusive to Amazon, and available for Kindle Unlimited. All books are/will be available in paperback through Createspace/Amazon.
- Please provide any other links my readers might find useful.
My Author page at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lorraine-Adair/e/B00FHR0L1Y/
Thank you so much for joining me, Lorraine! Best Wishes on all your future endeavors!!
Would you like to share your thoughts?
Your email address will not be published.