Creative Corner – Lady Aslan
Today’s interview was so cool, it was published in Idol Features magazine, shortly after it was written. I’m posting it to my blog today, so all my readers have a chance to enjoy it!
Lady Aslan is an author of horror fiction, a journalist and an all-around sweetheart…and definitely someone you’ll enjoy getting to know better.
Meet: Lady Aslan
- Welcome, Lady Aslan. Thanks for joining me here on Creative Corner. What should my readers know about you?
I have had quite a life in which I have traveled the world, been in love, fell out of love, been cheated on and left broken-hearted, college educated ( in and out of the United States ) and above all life educated. I have been stalked by men and women, watched my mum pass away before my eyes. I saw that life at its darkest hour can get darker. The light at the end of the proverbial tunnel can indeed be a train, but yet in that dark abyss a strangers hand can extend and pull you out of the way of harm and show unconditional love and concern. My interests include touching soft skin, the neck—the area right below his ear, conceptual thinking, port wine, and rose flavour . . .
- What are the 3 words that best describe you?
Shy, Unique, and Erotica
- Tell us about your work.
Lipstick & Absinthe is the follow up to the 2007 book Victorian Days & Punk Rock Nights. Lipstick & Absinthe is collection of Gothic poetry, short stories, and horror erotica prose. This book represents indie writers doing projects their own way and not falling into the cookie cutter batter that seems to be polluting mainstream media in the world today. Lipstick & Absinthe is moody and dark and seductive. Lipstick & Absinthe will be your nightly read and the gift you give to readers in your family and YES its rated “R”.
- Which piece of work are you most proud of?
What piece am I most proud of…I’m not sure I can answer that ha ha…it’s like picking a favourite child impossible. Perhaps I can say the interviews and reviews for bands and artists I do, those please me quite a bit!
- What other creative endeavors do you enjoy?
I basically live in my head sooo I can be a gorgeous painter or a sensual sculpture-tress or a huntress on the prowl for an artistic mate. I enjoy Belly Dancing and doing TRX workouts and cooking, I LOVE COOKING!
- Are you a publicity-lover, or publicity shy?
Oooooh very much both I am more confident behind the keyboard when talking about what I do, but in person I tend to feel uneasy and blush ha ha unless I have the full “Lady Aslan” look on as in hair, make up and sexy dress then I am just as fine as wine. Usually I am on the sofa with my yoga pants and tank top.
- I love music, and I’m always interested in the musical tastes of my friends. Tell me your 3 favorite songs.
Music is my life and my first love there is no way I can just pick three songs so we shall let my iPod go to shuffle and pick for me: Boys Of Summer-Done Henley, Spine-Knife Conquer As They Come, Don’t Change INXS and runner up The Man Whole Stole A Leopard by Duran Duran
- What song best describes your life?
Perhaps it’s The Eagles-Life In The Fast Lane and The Doors-L.A. Women and Save a Prayer by Duran Duran and Prince & The Revolution The Beautiful Ones and White Zombie More Human Than Human and some AC/DC For Those About To Rock….let’s mash those up and taadaaa that would describe my life because my life isn’t one dimensional so there can’t be just one song….I am sure I could pick many more
The Glamorous, Dangerous Romance Section:
- You are offered, free for one year, the use of either a customized, fully staffed jet (say a Bombardier Learjet 40XR), or a fully-staffed luxury yacht (perhaps a 150-foot vessel built by Palmer Johnson). Which do you choose?
Oh it’s the Palmer Johnson PJ210 Lady M…I have been on a Learjet going to Vegas, yes I know very cliché was not my choice I just tagged along, not like I was turning down the invite lol.
- Fabulous! Where are we going?
Ahhhhhh now here is the fun we cruise on over to the Black Sea and stop off in Romania and hit Transylvania and the Carpathian mountain range then off to Sirnea in Brașov County take in the sights and tastes of the country for a few weeks then back on the yacht and chug on down to Italy I say 2 weeks in Rome and 2 weeks in Firenzi ( relive my first trip to my mother land ) of course we are stopping in Siena home of Chianti and then off to Pisa I know a GREAT sandwich shop around the Leaning Tower then we hop back on “zeee yacht” and end our shenanigans in Leeward group of the Society Islands of French Polynesia BORA BORA….hell maybe stop off in Tahiti for shits and giggles since we are in the area.
- Who are we bringing with us?
LOL let the trouble begin….my friends there are about 15 of us lol lol and to keep the Baby bats on their toes I shall leave them nameless though one I am organizing a “Man-Napping” of; so, this Yacht idea may come in very handy lol lol
- I love to shop! And guess what? An eccentric billionaire has offered us his charge card for a day of shopping; with one caveat…we can only go to one store. Where are we going?
Shinsegae, Busan, South Korea
- What do we buy there?
Shinsegae is officially the largest department store in the whole world. In addition to floor upon floor of designer brands, visitors will also find a spa, roof garden and 60-tee golf range. Located in the heart of Seoul, where tradition meets modernity, the Main Store is a luxurious premium shopping venue. The Main Store consists of the ‘main building’, which is a premium and the very first department store of Korea, and the ‘new building’, an urban style department store. They even have fresh food to purchase…you picked a smart person to shop with *insert evil wink*
- Which of the following soap operas most resembles your life: All My Children, Grey’s Anatomy, Dynasty or The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills?
Actually none of them lol lol my life is more like a humorous suspenseful mini-series
- Which celebrity would you most like to star with in a romantic movie?
NORMAN REEDUS and we will need to warm up A LOT and I am a perfectionist sooooooo we may need many, many, many takes…..but don’t worry I am up for it. I won’t let you down!
- The setting for this movie is a private island. Where is it located?
Well we are off to the U.K. to shoot at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Water Garden ( not so much a private island the U.K is HUGE ) but more of an area of historic houses, gardens, mills, coastline, forests, farmland, moorland, islands, castles, nature reserves, villages… and pubs. *Fountains Abbey is mentioned in my unpublished poem Paradise on Earth written in 2003*
- What do we find there?
Coastlines and Countryside….Gardens and Parks… some of Britain’s most iconic and historic monuments. Stone circles, Cornish tin mines and even the Cerne Giant….seems we find a great deal there!
- Now comes the danger…This lover’s paradise has an unforeseen danger. What is it?
A Poltergeist and a cursed fog rolls in over the moors….good thing one of the lovers is a witch and the other is vampire…..I hope they survive *insert evil smirk*
- Naturally, this danger imperils the love of your life. How do you save him/her? Luckily my great gran was part of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and I have her Book of shadows, well more like pieces of paper in a shoe box…..I cast a spell, trust me it’s a humdinger.
Interviewee’s Choice: (please answer 3 of the following questions)
- If you were given $1,000,000 to donate to the charity of your choice, which one would you choose?
Half of my royalties from my book(s) and T-shirt sales got to Stand For The Silent ( Anti-bully campaign ) & Wolf Haven International ( Wolf Preserve ) those are the two I would half and half the $1,000,000
- If you could have your portrait painted by anyone, living or dead, which artist would you choose?
Monica Warhol…for obvious reason I just absolutely love her!
- What was the last concert you attended? Did you enjoy it?
Skinny Puppy and OMG YES I did enjoy it!! Waited a good 30 yrs to see them! Prior to seeing Skinny Puppy I met Ogre at a horror convention in Orlando in 2013 what a great guy with amazing musical tastes!
The Personal Touch:
- Tell us about your spiritual journey. What brought you to your Wiccan practices? Well my Gran practiced ( my mum’s side ) and after going to Sunday School and Catholic Church and having the nuns hit me ALL the time I said I had enough….I knew in my heart there are many paths to spirituality and Pagan ways just made more sense. Wiccan a good adjective in contrast to saying “I’m a witch” but all my friends figured that out since day one lol lol I never had any issues and I don’t speak ill of any church or religion as long as you and the group you are with are good people and want to help humanity become human. In Italy in 2001 Pope John Paul II blessed me it was cool!
- What do you find most appealing about the horror genre?
Well now…specifically the genre from 50’s to mid 90’s I watch some early 2000 horror films were pretty good but the United States is remaking toooooooooo many movies whilst in a locked vault in some phat producers storage unit sit 10000’s of scripts hidden away….ooh the things we could do with those huh?! But most appealing is really anything with zombies and vampires that has been my “comfort food” since I really have no idea what comfort food is I have “comfort movies” I love really good handmade special effects and make up and I can appreciate the CG of say the Harry Potter franchise. Plus I need tight directing and actors capable to act off one another not actors trying out do the other. Lastly the SCORE oh my nothing like some creepy Goblin music in the background.
- I see that you’re originally from Pittsburgh. Did you spend any time exploring the caves in southwestern Pennsylvania as you were growing up?
I was born in Pittsburgh I lived on a farm with Amish neighbours….George Romero shot the original Dawn of the Dead in my backyard or shall I say field ( opening scenes and when the rednecks shoot the car and it blows up ) and then for some filming at Monroeville Mall I was present at and the local “bikers” were real bikers from my parents pub ( was called Up Your Glass and bands indie to established to beatniks and spoken word was on their venue and then some at that pub )those bikers riding through the mall perhaps 3 were hired extras everyone else was the real thing long / short. I would visit my Gran ( mum’s side ) in Pittsburgh every other weekend or almost and we would go to Evans City Cemetery and walk around and yes my Gran would stumble walk and say “they are coming to get you Anitra” I’d have this nervous giggle and haul ass running away from her lol. Plus my gran lived down the street or a street over from the Warhol’s…so no, I never explored the caves.
- As a child, what was your favorite ghost story?
Hmmm….it wasn’t a ghost story it was the made-up stories my gran would tell me before bed about the vampire that lived across the street in the power plant that watched over me at night…..I miss my gran she passed 15 July 1985.
- What is your favorite way to dress up for Halloween?
Let’s see as a lil lass I was always a witch then went to vampire (teens of course I was Star from The Lost Boys ) and thanks to JK Rowling and Bellatrix LeStrange I can pull her off in my adult yrs lol lol like I know how to adult lol lol anyway the LeStrange character gave me new RESPECT for corsets…sweet Geebus what level of hell and minion came up with that torture device???
- If you had to spend the night with a vampire or a werewolf, which would you choose?
Well I have a thing for fangs and biting lol lol so Vampire hands down however I am not racist I would entertain a werewolf they are fluffy!
- What do you think would happen?
Well in my first book Victorian Days and Punk Rock Nights I have a short story called Gothix, much inspiration went into that short so I’d say “read the book” to find out what happens to me and my sexy blonde vampire lol *little bit of trivia Julian Sands inspired that piece in my first book as well.
- The heroine of my upcoming book, Whispers, is a ghost hunter. Would you spend a night ghost hunting with her?
Oh hell yes, I would have to bring uber talented friend Patrick…I mean a girl needs a guy to hold on too…right?!? *BIG evil smirk*
- Have you ever had any paranormal experiences? If so, what were they?
I wrote Pennsylvania Haunting in Lipstick & Absinthe and that prose is a take on what I thought I saw in the field behind my childhood home one dusky evening and I am convinced I saw the Moth Man in my window looking at me in 1979….then, some days later, Three Mile Island exploded….something to think about!
Reach Out & Touch Someone:
- Where can my readers get more information on you?
Official Webpage: http://www.lipstickandabsinthe.com
- What social media sites do you use? How can my readers follow you?
I am on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Sound Cloud, Amazon, and my own Official Webpage all links are above in the previous question
- Where can my readers purchase your work?
I have an author page on Amazon just look up Ladyaslan and my Official Webpage has a purchase link. Barnes & Noble online, just take my ISBN # and order from any book store.
- Please provide any other links my readers might find useful.
Yes I have some amazing talented friends PLEASE check out what they have to offer too!
Conquer As They Come ( Rock/ Metal band ) FB: page https://www.facebook.com/Conquer-As-They-Come-152878954801913/timeline/
Scheel-Guitarist FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/scheelrocks?fref=ts
Kim Acrylic-poet https://www.facebook.com/Kim-Acrylic-72624288127/timeline/
Gorgeous Freaks Magazine: https://www.facebook.com/GorgeousFreaksMagazine?fref=ts
Thank you so much for joining me, Anitra! Best Wishes on all your future endeavors!!