Creative Corner – James Jackson
Sci-fi lovers, today’s Creative Corner interview is all for you!! We have prolific sci-fi author, and all-around nice guy, James Jackson here for a chat!
Meet: James Jackson
I was born in Western Sydney, Australia, in 1965. During my childhood years, I was fortunate enough to travel to many places across Australia, and around the world.
During my late teen years we returned to Western Sydney, where I settled down. I have two fantastic children, of whom I am extremely proud.
My life changed direction in 2001. I moved to America, and now live on the picturesque shores of Lake Michigan.
In 2010 I revived an old dream of writing, and thus, the Terran Chronicles Universe was born.
- Welcome, James. Thanks for joining me here on Creative Corner. What should my readers know about you?
Thank you Clara. I am an indie author, who currently lives in Michigan USA. I was born in the Western suburbs of Sydney, and have also worked in England, where my father was born. I have a love of science fiction and consider myself a bit of a Trekkie.
- What are the 3 words that best describe you?
Honest, reliable, dependable.
- Tell us about your work.
I write Science Fiction, and am primarily focused on my series, ‘The Terran Chronicles Universe’. I recently completed Mamluk, a stand-alone work, which is a spin off from the main series.
- Which piece of work are you most proud of?
Alliance – I had to dig deep for the emotional aspects of the story.
- What other creative endeavors do you enjoy?
I used to create D&D modules for my avid gamer friends, but sadly those days are well and truly over.
- What would people be most surprised to see on your Kindle or bookshelf?
My old bookshelf with horror stories like ‘The Spear’, ‘Rats’, and ‘The Dark’, by James Herbert. These were alongside Dean Koontz, and Stephen King’s works. I had the usual array of Sci-Fi by Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clark, Robert Heinlein, Orson Scot Card, and more. I guess the most surprising books would be my 1974 copy of ‘Wind in the Willows’ or my copy of ‘Edward Lear’s Complete Nonsense.’ – And yes, I can recite ‘The Owl and the Pussycat’ J
- How about your playlist?
Now we are going crazy. I have more than 750 songs in my favorites. I enjoy ABBA, Adel, And One, Black Eyed Peas, Bruno Mars, Daft Punk, Evanescence, Lady Gaga, Ozzy Osborn, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rihanna, and more. I listen to music to create the right mental theme. Gothic music for combat, or stressful scenes, and sad music for what I call darker emotions.
- I love music, and I’m always interested in the musical tastes of my friends. Tell me your 3 favorite songs.
‘My Immortal’ by Evanescence, ‘Love you to the end’ by And One, and ‘Skyfall’ by Adele
- What song best describes your life?
‘The Show Must Go On’ by Queen,
- In the story of your life, who would you like to play you?
It would have been Robin Williams.
The Glamorous, Dangerous Romance Section:
- You’re about to be teleported back in time to the days of castles and dragons. Please cast the following roles:
- King: Sam Worthington
- Queen: Michelle Rodriguez
- Prince: Ben Affleck
- Princess: America Ferrera
- Court Jester: Jim Parsons
- Alchemist: Mel Gibson
- Evil Nemesis: Bruce Willis
- Dragon: Sean Connery
- What is the biggest danger facing the castle?
The evil Nemesis has blackmailed the Alchemist into concocting a solution capable of liquefying the castle’s stone walls. He plans to do this during the new King’s ordination when the entire court will be assembled.
- How do you prevail over this danger?
I ride the fire breathing dragon of course! The potion is easily heated up and turns into steam and dissipates harmlessly into the air. Though some of the stones are damaged, they can be repaired. The Alchemist is detained, and he spills the beans on the Evil Nemesis, who escapes, to be pursued in a sequel…
- We’re off to the Cannes film festival. Who do we meet there?
James Cameron, where we discuss his Avatar series.
- What do you wear on the red carpet?
Blue jeans, grey shirt with a tie, and an ‘old school’ black leather jacket with my biker boots that I wear everywhere. Actually, they are my only footwear other than slippers and flip flops.
- You’re about to be sucked into a soap opera. The only thing you have control over is which one you land in. Which one is it?
Big Bang Theory.
- You’ve been invited to 2 different events, each taking place on the same day/time. Do you attend the star-studded charity event for a charity you don’t feel strongly about? Or a low-key gathering of a dozen people you find interesting and entertaining?
This is a no brainer, the low key event. I can always still donate to the charity if I so desire.
- You’ve been chosen to receive a custom wardrobe by the designer of your choice. Which designer is making it for you?
- People magazine is featuring you on next month’s cover. Why?
The caption reads, ‘A new Sci-Fi Phenomenon’ – The synopsis reads. Indie Author contracted for a major motion picture and mini-series. Are we ready for a fresh foray into science fiction?
- We have front row tickets to Fashion Week in NYC. Who are we sitting with? JoDee Randall of Show Style Brands, because I have no fashion sense. Did you see what I will wear on the red carpet?
- Whose collection are you most looking forward to seeing?
LOL – I have no idea, but I am sure I would enjoy the event.
- You’re given to chance to star in either Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Which movie do you choose?
- Which role do you play?
Any that lets my fly a cool spacecraft around, not necessarily the Millennium Falcon, but one that will become just as iconic! There has to be room for a few friends too. J
- Who is starring in the movie with you?
Oh, now this is a tough one. Well, we would need some acting lessons, but I think my friend Jason Williams, would love to be my sidekick… Truthfully he would try to run the show, but that’s okay. Hmm, but in reality, Russell Crowe is an imposing actor.
- Who is the person, living or dead, you would most like to spend a day with?
Carl Sagan. The way he looked at the cosmos was amazing.
- If offered the chance to live forever, would you?
Yes – Imagine watching as humanity managed to reach for the stars, and then began expanding into them.
- You’re about to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Whose star would you like to have your star next to?
- Everyone’s running for President these days, so why not you? Tell me your campaign slogan.
‘Vote for me and be afraid, very afraid.’ – Okay on a more serious note, ‘We must invest in serious space exploration, and manned colonies, if we as a species are to survive.’
The Personal Touch:
- Your science fiction series, Terran Chronicles, is set in Earth’s future. What do you think the biggest changes in our world will be in the next 100 years?
Avoiding a catastrophic war over dwindling resources. If we can do that, then the leaps and bounds in medicine and computers will see an explosion in Nanite technologies. I expect these new generation Nanites will be injected into babies at birth…
- What about in the next 1,000 years?
Our greatest issue is working in harmony. If humanity survives, we will have colonized other planets, and hopefully they will be coexisting peacefully. Earth will become a historical planet, one that is protected and managed as a planetary monument to our humble beginnings.
- If you were to write a book about Dungeons & Dragons, what would be the basic plot?
I love dungeon exploring, so the plot would be the exploration of an ancient castle, one that is rumored to be haunted. The upper levels are haunted by an array of spirits and other foul creatures, while the lower dungeon levels have an odd assortment of skeletons, goblins, kobolds, and more. A wall in the lowest level is cracked, and the dungeon party thinking they have found a treasure trove, smash the wall open, revealing an abyss which is filled with demons. Most of the party members perish as they escape, with the survivors fleeing, leaving the opening they made…
- If you were given a chance to spend a day with either Arthur C. Clarke or Isaac Asimov, whom would you choose?
I would love to chat about his Foundation Series.
- You’ve lived all over the world, including Australia, England the U.S. Which place had the most impact on you?
America for sure.
- In what way?
I have been fortunate to have travelled across most of the country. I have observed how the mega rich live, and also seen the number of homeless that somehow survive on the streets. It is tough to see such an enormous disparity of wealth and living conditions.
- You’ve spent many years living apart from your children. What have you missed the most?
I regret deeply not watching them grow, learn to drive, experience their first date. Sometimes I will watch a movie or read a book and it will feel as though I just left Australia, and the feelings are raw again. The consequences of my decision were far greater than I anticipated.
- What’s your favorite thing to do in Michigan?
I used to own a Victory Cross Country Tour motorcycle, and loved racking up the miles on the many roads that crisscross this great state.
Reach Out & Touch Someone:
- Where can my readers get more information on you?
I have an extensive bio on http://www.terranchronicles.com along with tons of other information.
- What social media sites do you use? How can my readers follow you?
My Twitter handle is
@JamesAJJackson. – https://twitter.com/JamesAJJackson
- Where can my readers purchase your work?
Just about any platform imaginable,
Apple iTunes: just look up Terran Chronicles.
- Please provide any other links my readers might find useful.
I have a Pinterest page: http://www.pinterest.com/jamesajackson/
Thank you so much for joining me, James! Best Wishes on all your future endeavors!!
Would you like to share your thoughts?
Your email address will not be published.