Creative Corner – Iona Morrison
Her books have been tearing up Amazon’s Bestseller List, and today, Creative Corner is honored to chat with the very talented Iona Morrison!
Meet Iona Morrison:
I was high-energy child armed with a vivid imagination. My mother introduced me to books, both for quiet times and for her sanity. With weekly trips to the Bookmobile, I grew up to be an avid reader.
I am also a bit of a social butterfly. I found an outlet for my talkative nature through teaching and speaking. Now I do most of speaking through writing, which I love. I never thought I would write murder mysteries with a paranormal twist, but here I am. My imagination has been freed.
I live in Colorado with my husband. I’m surrounded by my three sons, two are married and raising their own families. They have supported me in this new chapter of my life and my husband is my number one fan.
Welcome, Iona. Thanks for joining me here on Creative Corner. What should my readers know about you?
- I am a social person who loves to write. I enjoy the process from beginning to end. My imagination is always at work and my characters give me endless hours of entertainment.
What are the 3 words that best describe you?
(I had to ask my husband about this.) Compassionate, witty, and happy.
Tell us about your work.
- I have two books published, ‘The Harvest Club’ and ‘Not For Sale’. I’m proud of that accomplishment. The publisher is considering my third book now, and I just finished the fourth. Each story addresses something in society that is important to me in a purely fictional way.
Which piece of work are you most proud of?
- Your first book is always special no matter what, but ‘Not For Sale’ is my favorite so far. It deals with the subject of human trafficking in a mystery and romance genre. My research for the book took me on a track with Bloodhounds and their handlers. I found the dogs amazing in their abilities. The do the job of finding humans both living and deceased and bring them home to their families.
What other creative endeavors do you enjoy?
- I’ve spoken publically for years and tried my hand a making quilts.
Are you a publicity-lover, or publicity shy?
- I think I fall somewhere in between. I’m not shy, but I don’t go out of my way for publicity either. I do love it when someone talks to me about the characters in my book as if they are real.
I love music, and I’m always interested in the musical tastes of my friends. Tell me your 3 favorite songs.
- At Last, Etta James; Counting Stars, OneRepublic; When I Fall In Love, Nat King Cole
What song best describes your life?
The Glamorous, Dangerous Romance Section:
You are offered, free for one year, the use of either a customized, fully staffed jet (say a Bombardier Learjet 40XR), or a fully-staffed luxury yacht (perhaps a 150-foot vessel built by Palmer Johnson). Which do you choose?
- The luxury yacht is my choice.
Fabulous! Where are we going?
- We will cruise the Mediterranean going to Barcelona, Southern France, Tuscany, Rome, and Venice. Naturally, since we’re talking about a full year, we will have to stop in Monaco to visit the casinos. We also must do a little Island hopping, checking out Corsica, Sicily, Sardinia, and Mallorca. While we are at it, we might want to take in Athens, Ephesus, and Istanbul.
Who are we bringing with us?
- Our significant other and a few close friends.
I love to shop! And guess what? An eccentric billionaire has offered us his charge card for a day of shopping; with one caveat…we can only go to one store. Where are we going?
- I know the perfect spot to spend his money. Let’s shop for Prada on the Avenue De Monte Carlo.
What do we buy there?
- We’ll be shopping for shoes, handbags, perfumes, watches and sunglasses of course.
Which of the following soap operas most resembles your life: All My Children, Grey’s Anatomy, Dynasty or The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills?
- Lately, I would have to say it’s quite like Grey’s Anatomy. (The hospital scene)
Which celebrity would you most like to star with in a romantic movie?
- Mark Harmon
The setting for this movie is a private island. Where is it located?
- The Caribbean
What do we find there?
- On the island where we’ll be staying there are twenty-two cottages scattered over one-hundred-thirteen acres so you can see or not see your neighbors as you please. You can fit a little relaxation, or maybe some tennis, scuba diving, and fishing into your day.
Now comes the danger…This lover’s paradise has an unforeseen danger. What is it?
- Tropical storms and hurricanes are always a possible threat.
Naturally, this danger imperils the love of your life. How do you save him/her?
- I must battle the elements to save him after he’s been knocked unconscious when hit by flying debris while securing the cottage.
If you were given $1,000,000 to donate to the charity of your choice, which one would you choose?
- I would donate my million to a clean water project. Every person needs clean water to drink.
If you could go back in time and tell your younger self one thing; and one thing only, what would it be?
- I would tell myself: Don’t be in such a hurry to grow up it goes by faster than you think.
What is the one issue you feel most passionately about?
- I feel very strongly about Human Trafficking. The money that is made and exchanged for human life is appalling. Most of the victims are women and children.
The Personal Touch:
What did you learn after publishing your first book that helped you with your second book?
- The first thing I learned was that I had a lot to learn. Marketing was hard for me, selling myself was contrary to what I had been taught most of my life, and there was much more to it than just writing the story. Still it was one of the most thrilling experiences I’ve ever had. I loved the entire process from beginning to end which made writing the second one easier. I still feel a catch in my throat as I wait to hear whether my publisher will contract the book or not.
What did you learn from your time with the Navajo people that the world could benefit from?
- The Navajo people are wonderful. They have endured harsh conditions over many years and emerged a caring and generous people. I learned that people who are a different culture are at their heart the same as me. They laugh, they love, and they cry the same as I do. There is no us and them on planet earth it really is only us in many varieties.
In one sentence, describe what it’s like to be a parent?
- The best thing I ever did.
- My reward for letting my kids live when they were naughty.
Your heroine Jessie Reynolds experiences a ghostly encounter. Have you ever had a paranormal experience?
- I did. It happened when we were visiting the Hopi Indian Reservation.
You currently live in Colorado. Have you ever visited the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Stephen King’s inspiration for The Shining?
- I’ve stayed at the Stanley Hotel.
If I wanted to go ghost hunting there, would you come with me?
- I might give it a try.
We are both fans of OneRepublic. If they invited us to be in a music video for the song of our choice, which song would it be?
- My song of choice would be Counting Stars.
Reach Out & Touch Someone:
Where can my readers get more information on you?
- You can find more information on my website or any of my social media platforms.
Where can my readers purchase your work?
Books can be purchased from Amazon or the publisher http://www.wildrosepublishing.com/maincatalog_v151/ or my personal website. http://ionamorrison.com/
Thank you so much for joining me, Iona! Best Wishes on all your future endeavors!!
Would you like to share your thoughts?
Your email address will not be published.