Creative Corner – David P. Perlmutter
Meet: David P. Perlmutter
From wrongly imprisoned life-saver to self-published Amazon No 1 best-selling author
Falsely accused of arson and manslaughter and thrown in a Spanish jail, David P Perlmutter turned real life drama into a full-time writing career following the success of his debut novel ‘Wrong Place Wrong Time’
In 1991 North London estate agent David found himself at odds with the law and out of a job following an unfortunate and naïve episode. Desiring a change of scenery he decided to move to Spain to start afresh but misfortune, circumstance and a degree of stupidity soon landed him in more trouble than that from which he had fled back home.
One night after a few too many drinks and armed with more Dutch courage than common sense, he rescued two people from a burning hotel, but in the process became embroiled in a nightmare from which, for a while, he thought he may not escape. ‘Aided’ by a UK tabloid journalist whose sole purpose and ulterior motive was merely creating shock headlines, David’s real life account of nail-biting events leading up to and following the fire have had readers leaving reviews (290+ 5*) such as:
5* Story sinks its claws into you and doesn’t let go until the very last word.
5* Story reminds me of novels by Tom Wolfe in which we learn how easy it is to fall through the thin curst of civilisation.
5* Drawn in from the first page and from then on I felt I was with him every step of the way.
5* It should be a movie!
5* Most amazing true story…. Wow!
5* Read many ‘award winning’ books which are boring, too descriptive, too long, but this was great!
Twenty years after the events in Spain David started writing ‘Wrong Place Wrong Time’ and self-published it in 2013. Following the success of this novel David decided to share with other indie self-published authors his guide to getting his novel to the #1 spot in True Crime on Amazon’s USA Chart. In ‘My Way’ his easy to read conversational style has also led to some great reviews:
5* His advice worked for me. My Way is like a handful of jewels, scattered out in front of you.
5* Thanks to David’s advice I got almost 2000 free downloads and since then, almost 100 sales in the days following.
5* My Way if the first book I’ve read that provides really useable tips and advice on how to get your book noticed.
5* Must have for all new authors. Priceless information, succinct and neat without any waffle.
David has since gone on to write two more ‘My Way’ books ‘My Way Too’ and ‘My Way Free – Trending on Twitter.’ Also, he recently revealed his second novel, ‘Five Weeks’, to be another true story from his incredible life.
‘Five Weeks’ tells the story of a working trip to the United States where David was almost left for dead in a Pennsylvanian wood by his cocaine addict boss and his brother.
5* Another total page turner. A great read. His writing – again – totally draws you into the story. I was begging the character not to, well I’m not going to spoil it, but couldn’t wait to find out. Thoroughly recommend it and can’t wait for the next one.
As a full-time writer and marketer, David promotes authors from around the world on social media and is already working on books four, five and six in the ‘My Way’ series. ‘My Way Four – May the 4th be with you’ – coincidentally due out on May 4th, features some of the indie sci-fi authors he has helped promote on social media. ‘My Way Five – About Life’ will be published to coincide with Mental Health Awareness Week on 16-22nd May and will feature authors whose genre is self-help and dealing with depression, anxiety, over-coming bereavement etc., along with a few bloggers. A percentage of the profits from this book will go to the Mental Health Foundation. ‘My Way Six – Sex for the Beach’ will be published as a summer read and will feature international authors of erotic fiction.
For further information, please contact: Julie Tucker, Editor & PR – 07961 399665, David P Perlmutter – 07415 696440 www.davidpperlmutter.com
- Welcome, David. Thanks for joining me here on Creative Corner. What should my readers know about you?
I’m 51. Have 4 children. One grandson. An author. Love marketing. Live in London. Love life.
- What are the 3 words that best describe you?
Gregarious. Giving. Fun.
- Tell us about your work.
I am an author and promote authors around the world. I have a sales and advertising background.
- Which piece of work are you most proud of?
All my books.
- What other creative endeavors do you enjoy?
I was in a dancing event for charity. I played football. I play table tennis with my brothers on a Monday. Love most sports. Love films and music.
- What would people be most surprised to see on your Kindle or bookshelf?
- How about your playlist?
So many to list. My girlfriend and I have the same taste, so we download at the same time.
- I love music, and I’m always interested in the musical tastes of my friends. Tell me your 3 favorite songs.
What a question, okay. Careless Whisper. Hotel California. Hero.
- What song best describes your life?
Life is a rollercoaster.
- In the story of your life, who would you like to play you?
Funnily enough my readers have already suggested actors who they think should play me if one of my books, WRONG PLACE WRONG TIME becomes a movie. They are Tom Hardy, Marc Warren, Danny Dyer and Daniel Mays.
The Glamorous, Dangerous Romance Section:
- You’re about to be teleported back in time to the days of castles and dragons. Please cast the following roles:
- King Mum
- Queen Dad
- Prince Me
- Princess Julie
- Court Jester One of my brothers! (Can’t mention his name)
- Alchemist My mate Danny!
- Evil Nemesis Someone I used to work with!
- Dragon Someone I used to work with!
- What is the biggest danger facing the castle?
- How do you prevail over this danger?
Try to be friends with the enemy!
- We’re off to the Cannes film festival.
Who do we meet there? The leading man in the movie of my book!
- What do you wear on the red carpet?
My Tom Ford or Paul Smith suit.
- You’re about to be sucked into a soap opera. The only thing you have control over is which one you land in. Which one is it?
The Young and the Restless.
- You’ve been invited to 2 different events, each taking place on the same day/time. Do you attend the star-studded charity event for a charity you don’t feel strongly about? Or a low-key gathering of a dozen people you find interesting and entertaining?
Being a Cancer Campaigns Ambassador for Cancer Research UK, I would have to attend the charity event for the networking opportunities it would present. To be honest, I’m equally at home at large gatherings and small intimate functions, I love socializing so I’m comfortable in most situations.
- You’ve been chosen to receive a custom wardrobe by the designer of your choice. Which designer is making it for you?
I’m a suit man so Tom Ford or Paul Smith please!
- People magazine is featuring you on next month’s cover. Why?
Because my book, WRONG PLACE WRONG TIME, is about to be premiered as a movie.
- We have front row tickets to Fashion Week in NYC. Who are we sitting with? Bradley Cooper & Irina Shayk.
- Whose collection are you most looking forward to seeing?
- You’re given to chance to star in either Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. Which movie do you choose?
Well, funny you should say that! My next book, MY WAY – MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU, features sci-fi authors and is due out on Star Wars Day, May 4th!
- Which role do you play?
I would have to be Hans Solo although I’m hairy enough to be Chewbacca!
- Who is starring in the movie with you?
My girlfriend (also my editor) would make a great Princess Leia!
- Who is the person, living or dead, you would most like to spend a day with?
My Dad who sadly passed away 11 years ago, I would love to have one more day with him to let him know how much he meant to me.
- If offered the chance to live forever, would you?
Yes but only if I could stay the age I am now because now I have found true happiness!
- Which reality show most resembles your life: Big Brother, Survivor or The Amazing Race?
- If you were going to take a walk on the wild side, who would you want to be your guide?
I already have, as detailed in my books WRONG PLACE and FIVE WEEKS, but if I had to do it again my guide would be my girlfriend and soulmate, we would have a scream!
The Personal Touch:
- Your books range from non-fiction, to how-to. Which do you find most challenging to write? Why?
Non-Fiction because of the personal nature of the books and some of the horrors that I had to face and have relived during the writing.
- Which do you find most satisfying? Why?
I actually find the marketing books the most satisfying because I’m helping fellow indie authors to promote themselves and the reviews I’ve received from them, telling me how much my advice has assisted them, make it all worthwhile.
- Your book, Wrong Place Wrong Time, tells the true story of how you saved 2 people from a burning building and were arrested and wrongly charged with arson and manslaughter. If you had it to do over, is there anything about that day you would change?
Definitely, I’m pleased that I was able to save the lives of two people however, during the process I made a stupid spur of the moment error which I wish I hadn’t, that has been ridiculed in some of the reviews on Amazon.
- What is your biggest regret in life?
Not meeting my soulmate 25 years ago!
- What advice would you give to parents struggling with a “wild child?”
Let them get it out of their system and just be there for them to pick up the pieces.
- What was the hardest part of turning your life around?
I think for me it has been learning to not beat myself up about things which I can’t change. I can be my own worst enemy.
- What do you think inspires people to change?
I think we need the love and support of those who love us unconditionally and I’m blessed to have been surrounded by such people in my family and with my girlfriend.
- If you could have only one of your books turned into a film, which one would you choose?
As mentioned before many of my readers have said that they would love to see WRONG PLACE WRONG TIME on the big screen and it would certainly be a dream come true for me.
- What lessons have you taken from your past to make you a better writer?
I’ve used the lessons from my past just to become a writer and I think what makes me a better writer is just being honest.
- Tell us a bit about your experience on a dance show…Have you always been interested in dancing? And, would you be interested in doing it professionally?
I’ve always loved to dance, especially at 2am in a nightclub when slightly inebriated but to be honest with you I certainly wouldn’t want to do it professionally. Helping to raise over £33,000 for the North London Hospice was incredible and the overall experience was amazing. In fact it was so incredible, I am now working on a book about it and the life-changing event it led to.
Reach Out & Touch Someone:
- Where can my readers get more information on you?
- What social media sites do you use?
How can my readers follow you? I use most of them. Twitter: @davepperlmutter. Visit my website for all other links.
- Where can my readers purchase your work?
Amazon but yet again, my website has all the links.
- Please provide any other links my readers might find useful.
All on my website!
Thank you so much for joining me, David! Best Wishes on all your future endeavors!!