Creative Corner – Anna Sullivan
Romance author Anna Sullivan has brought joy, tears and laughter to readers for many years, publishing under the names Penny McCusker, Penny McCall and Anna Sullivan. I’m proud to call her my friend, and delighted to have her here on Creative Corner.
Meet: Anna Sullivan
Anna Sullivan was born and raised in southeastern Michigan, the seventh of nine children. There was a lot of noise, frequent disorder and a fair bit of commotion in her early life. Anna escaped by going through the looking glass, over the rainbow, or beyond the wardrobe.
As years passed, she grew up, got married and had three children. Needless to say, there was a lot of noise, frequent disorder and a fair bit of commotion. When her darlings were in bed for the night, she escaped into words again, this time ones she wrote herself. After all, how difficult could it be to string together enough of them to fill an entire book? Pretty difficult, as it turns out. But she kept at it, and eventually sold her first book.
Her children are starting their own lives now. Anna misses the noise, disorder and commotion, so it’s handy that she can recreate those times, and the happy endings that go along with them. She hopes you’ll escape into one of her worlds and spend an enjoyable, and quiet, hour or two.
- Welcome, Penny. Thanks for joining me here on Creative Corner. What should my readers know about you?
I live in Southeastern Michigan, where the weather changes daily, automobiles run the economy, and it’s Christmas shopping panic time. My life is pretty normal, kids, dog, house, job, and the fictional people who live in my head.
- What are the 3 words that best describe you?
Loyal. Happy. Workaholic.
- Tell us about your work.
Writing is what I love best aside from my family. It keeps me centered and happy. Sometimes it makes me crazy, too, but at the end of the day it’s so incredibly satisfying to write that happy ending after months of putting my characters through the wringer.
- Which piece of work are you most proud of?
I really like everything I’ve written, but if I had to pick, I’d say All Jacked Up—I loved Jack and Aubrey, or Tag, You’re It—I loved Jackass the drunk horse.
- What other creative endeavors do you enjoy?
You name it, I’ve tried it. I’ve settled for crochet and cross stitch for the most part, but I still dabble in other crafts from time to time.
- Are you a publicity-lover, or publicity shy?
Door number two, definitely, but it’s also that I have so little spare time that I don’t do as much in the way of publicity as I should.
- I love music, and I’m always interested in the musical tastes of my friends. Tell me your 3 favorite songs.
I like pretty much everything except scream rock, and what I listen to varies with my mood, so it’s really hard to pick 3 favorites. For the most part, I flip between classic rock, country and contemporary pop.
- What song best describes your life?
I’m a Believer (by the Monkees, not those guys who redid it for the movie Shrek, although I have to say they didn’t do a bad job.)
The Glamorous, Dangerous Romance Section:
- You are offered, free for one year, the use of either a customized, fully staffed jet (say a Bombardier Learjet 40XR), or a fully-staffed luxury yacht (perhaps a 150-foot vessel built by Palmer Johnson). Which do you choose?
The yacht, definitely.
- Fabulous! Where are we going?
Everywhere. We’ve got a year, right? Why limit ourselves?
- Who are we bringing with us?
No one. If I’m getting away, I’m getting away! In fact, I don’t remember inviting you 🙂
- I love to shop! And guess what? An eccentric billionaire has offered us his charge card for a day of shopping; with one caveat…we can only go to one store. Where are we going?
Harrod’s London! They have everything.
- What do we buy there?
Whatever we want. Except leather pants.
- Which of the following soap operas most resembles your life: All My Children, Grey’s Anatomy, Dynasty or The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills?
My life is way too normal for any of those shows. Too much drama for me.
- Which celebrity would you most like to star with in a romantic movie?
Any one of the heroes in my books. I created those guys, after all.
- The setting for this movie is a private island. Where is it located?
- What do we find there?
Ancient ruins and a beautiful old villa, with olive groves
- Now comes the danger…This lover’s paradise has an unforeseen danger. What is it?
- Naturally, this danger imperils the love of your life. How do you save him/her? We would pour olive oil on them so they keep slipping and can’t walk or hold a weapon.
- If you could trade places with someone for one day, whom would you choose?
The President of the United States so I could repeal Obamacare. It’s enrollment time and it’s driving me crazy. Self-employment has some bad points.
- You’re throwing a party in a magical world where anyone, living or dead, real or fictional, will show up if invited. Who are the first 10 people you invite?
The Three Stooges and the Seven Dwarves.
- com has been introduced to Fairytale Land. Who are the 3 most unexpected couplings to come about?
I kind of like the usual ones, although there’s nothing to say Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty can’t trade Princes.
- If you were interviewing me, what’s the first question you’d ask?
When will these questions end!?
- If you were given $1,000,000 to donate to the charity of your choice, which one would you choose?
Definitely Humane Society or ASPCA
- If you could have your portrait painted by anyone, living or dead, which artist would you choose?
Not Picasso. Gainsborough maybe.
- What was the last concert you attended? Did you enjoy it?
The Bangles years ago. Loved it.
- If offered the chance to live forever, would you?
No. I think everyone would want it to end at some point.
- Finish this sentence: In my next life, I’m coming back as a NYT bestseller. Or maybe I’ll make it there in this life.
- If you were cryogenically frozen, what’s the furthest point in time you’d like to be revived?
I would never have myself frozen.
- If you could go back in time and tell your younger self one thing; and one thing only, what would it be?
Relax and enjoy the ride
- If you were given the chance to go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?
Nothing. Everything that has happened, good and bad, has brought us here. Change one tiny thing and you might never exist.
- What is the one work of art you wish you had produced, and why?
I don’t think you can ever write someone else’s book because if you tried it would come out differently. Although I love Stephen King’s imagination.
- What is the one issue you feel most passionately about?
At the moment Christmas because I’m so far behind!
- If someone were to base a reality show on your life, what would it be called?
- Everyone’s running for President these days, so why not you? Tell me your campaign slogan.
I just want to sleep in the Lincoln bedroom
The Personal Touch:
- We’ve had the privilege of taking several trips together, with our friends Angie & Marie. Of all these trips, which was your favorite, and why?
Anaheim sticks out. There were some great times at the beach.
- If we were to go on another trip, where would you like to go?
Anywhere in Europe that has castles.
- You’ve had books published under 3 different names. What’s the biggest struggle you’ve faced switching pen names?
Always losing the readership I gained with the former name, and starting from scratch.
- Of all your pen names, which was your favorite?
I actually prefer my own name.
- You, Angie, Marie & I are about to be sucked into the pages of a book and become part of the story. Which book is it?
The four of us? We’d have to write our own story!
- What happens?
Anything we want, although with four very different imaginations, we’d have some fun trying to agree on a plot.
- Your books have all been traditionally published. Would you ever consider indie publishing?
Absolutely. I think there’s a wonderful kind of freedom in indie. I also think it’s a lot of work, so I really respect anyone who’s done it.
- What do you think you would like and dislike about being an indie author?
As I said, all the work self-promoting.
Reach Out & Touch Someone:
- Where can my readers get more information on you?
My website annasullivanbooks.com My Facebook page, and you can always get info on any of the reviewer sites or Amazon.
- What social media sites do you use? How can my readers follow you?
Mostly my Facebook page. It’s the only think I have time to keep updated.
- Where can my readers purchase your work?
I’m not sure any of my books are actually still in the bookstores, so I’d suggest the usual online sites, like Amazon.
Thank you so much for joining me, Penny! Best Wishes on all your future endeavors!!
Thanks so much for having me. I really had to struggle with some of the questions, but this was a lot of fun. Penny/Anna