8 Terrible Titles
I’ve been tagged. And I wasn’t even running around the playground trying not to be ‘It.’ But it’s okay. My friend B.A. Wilson (@BAWilsonWrites) tagged me, and she is super cool, so I’m game to play along.
As I understand it, the rules are as follows:
I pull up my current WIP (that’s Exploits, Book #1 of my new series, Sex & Secrets), and I scroll to a random page.
- I close my eyes, allowing my cursor to land on some random word or phrase, and that is my first Terrible Title. (Okay, the rules didn’t say I had to close my eyes, but I did, just to make it more fun).
- Repeat steps #1 & 2 seven more times, giving me a total of 8 Terrible Titles.
Wow! Is this game ever easy! Can’t say much for the titles though. These are my 8 terrible titles. Wait…can I just choose the ones I like best? That might not be so bad.
- Brute Nodded. What? Who is Brute? No, he’s not the Hero. He’s not even the main Villain. So why is he in the title?
- Rogaine and Hair Transplants. I reject this title outright. Nothing here suggests romantic suspense…unless the Heroine is about to fall in love with a bald guy looking for his toupee.
- She Had Bested the Bitch. Well, there’s a definite hint of soap opera here, and maybe even a dash of suspense. But, where, oh where, is the romance?
- A Salon, Two Boutiques and a Shoe Store. This one could actually make a great title for a chick lit book. I’m keeping it in mind for future reference.
- Completing the Tease-Ready Outfit. Oh look! Another chick lit novel. Or perhaps a non-fiction fashion book for the Club set. I’ll get back with you when I’ve made up my mind.
- Throw Her Ass In Jail. I like this title. I really do. I even see where there could be some romance and some suspense thrown in. There’s just one problem. Have I mentioned I’m super partial to one-word titles?
- Then Let’s Make It a Good One. I agree. Let’s. And let’s start by getting rid of this title.
- But I Swear I’m In Love. And there we have it! Something that smacks entirely of romance. Um…suspense anyone?
Well that was fun! If you want to have a look at the tagging that got me started, head over to B.A. Wilson’s Blog. You can follow this link: bawilsonwrites.blogspot.com And don’t forget to tell her I said, “Hello.”